Tuesday, August 13, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance - Top 12

Another show, another injury. This time it's poor Tucker who got an infection in his knee. What's up with all the guys being injured this season? Tucker was able to dance his solo, but since he could not participate in rehearsals he did not dance the rest of the show.

I love the big group number this week. Maybe the powers-that-be were as sick of the dark, intense group routines as I was. I think this was the first time the group ever did a Bollywood number, and they looked like they were having so much fun. It was of course choreographed by Nakul Dev Mahajan. I especially loved Alan and Amy's smiles throughout this number.

The two smaller group numbers were also good, although I prefer the guys over the girls. Perhaps because the guys went first, but theirs were much more interesting and impactful than the girls' routine.
The guest judge this week was Kenny Ortega. Finally someone with actual knowledge and experience.

Most favorite routines

I thought overall the routines were very good. The dancers have really stepped it up, and it should continue to get better when the all-stars join the show this week.

1) Jasmine and Aaron's hip hop by Tabitha and Napoleon. Now this is how you dance hip hop. They were both strong and believable, and they really drew strength from their movements. I still don't understand how Jasmine ended up in the bottom three last week.

2) Makenzie and Paul's contemporary from Mandy Moore. I love the rendition of Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory" that was used for this routine, and Makenzie and Paul knocked it out of the park. I believe in their chemistry and it was fun to see their flirty banter.

3) Jenna and Alex Wong's paso doble from Jean-Marc Généreux. I am including this dance on this list because of Alex Freaking Wong and his abs, who replaced Tucker. Nice abs, Alex. He looked great, especially considering that he is not a ballroom dancer. I almost forgot Jenna was there.

Least favorite routine

There is really only one that I didn't like - Malece and Alan's jazz by Mandy Moore. Poor Malece. I think she knew she was a goner from the moment Jenna was saved by the judges and she had to go up against Amy. She tried really hard, but she and Alan just seemed off from the beginning and the dance did not do them any favors.

Eliminations

I was not expecting Amy to end up in the bottom three. She has been coasting along so well. The only girl left who has not been on the bottom is Hayley. As I mentioned above, the other two girls in trouble were Jenna and Malece. I also did not understand the decision to save Jenna - is it because they want to guarantee a ballroom girl in the top 10 and the tour? She has been in the bottom several times. We knew Malece was gone the moment Jenna was saved. Plus Amy danced a better solo.

I was right about the three boys in trouble: Tucker, Alan, and Nico. Nico was immediately saved, while Tucker and Alan danced solos. I thought Alan did a better solo, but the judges kept Tucker instead. Since Tucker wasn't able to dance, he immediately ends up in the bottom two this week.

Predictions on who will be in trouble tonight:

Boys: Tucker and Nico
Girls: Makenzie and Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment